4.27.2009

Mutha'uckas

I went to the Flight of the Conchords concert tonight. And left thinking that I can die happy now. It was absolutely one of the best times of my life.

The theater was packed. Everyone, including yours truly, was decked out in FotC merchandise and waiting for their favorite songs. Everyone watched the show and knew the jokes and sang along. It was fantastic. And somehow it made me a little sad.

You know the feeling? When you find something fantastic that no one else knows about and have like this secret ownership of the best thing in the world? Well that's what I had with this band. I discovered them a few months before their TV show started, just by finding random videos online. No one I knew had ever heard of them before. For a while they were mine. My amazing private amusement, which I could share with whomever I deemed worthy.

And then they hit it big. The TV show was fantastic, gained a cult following, and then a bigger cult following. They toured and sold t-shirts and started getting quoted by SportsCenter anchors (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Mq8apGj_8). While I know this is great for the band, and I'm glad that people will now understand my references, I still feel like I lost something personal. Like they no longer belong to me, and I am forced to relinquish them to every Joe Schmo out there. (I mean, SportsCenter? Really? Come on.)

Ah, well. Perhaps I'm being silly. Because they're really fantastic. And they totally deserve recognition for their incredible talent. So, if you haven't found them on Youtube, or watched their HBO show, I highly recommend you check them out now!

I guess it just felt good to be ahead of the trend. Questions answered later this week.

1 comment:

  1. Flight of the Conchords are amazing! But I suppose this just proves your point that everyone now knows who they are...

    So jealous you got to see them live!

    ReplyDelete